Wednesday 8 December 2010

Conclusion

Overall, I enjoyed this project and am very happy with the finished project. I enjoy working as a group because I work better in a team when I am able to bounce ideas off of people. It also allows me to take the overall project and work on small pieces of it with other group members. I feel that this is effective because other group members may think of ideas that I wouldn’t have thought about.

The group that I worked in was very good and we worked well together to complete an animation that suited the brief that had been given to us at the start of the project. After coming to a group decision as to how we were going to create the animation and the transitions between the scenes. I feel that I worked very well with both Dan and Tom with the transitions between my scene and theirs.

Overall the group worked very well and we produced some top quality work that impressed many of the other groups, Elli and the extras. There were a few issues that cropped up towards the end of the project however I felt we, as a group, were able to overcome this.

I decided to create a golf animation for a couple of reasons. Firstly I have a very keen interest in the sport and felt that this would be able to assist me in the creation of the idea for the scene. I also thought that it would be quite a test of my skills that I currently had in 3ds Max whilst also allowing me to learn new skills that I could use in the future. After deciding as a group what kind of theme we were going to go for and what character styles we were going to include, it was important to continue this theme throughout the animation.

I was very happy with my part of our animation and felt that the detail in the smaller details, such as the grass and golf ball, made the scene look very realistic. If I had more time to work on the scene, I would have liked to have created the rest of the golf hole and maybe another separate hole just to allow a range of golf shots to be animated. The main problem that would come from increasing the amount of grass and size of the scene would be the render time. With the current animation it still took a long time to render however with more grass in the scene it would take even longer.

We decided at the beginning of the project that we would go for a Pixar-style animation, which decided how we were going to create the models. We felt that most of the groups would go for a more realistic feel in their video with very detailed and realistic models. We did want to be different and overall we felt that maybe ours was better in a lot of places. Part of me does wish that we had gone for a very realistic animations after seeing some of the amazing work others produced. I would like to continue using 3ds Max for my personal fun and experience in the future and feel that this project has only increased my confidence and abilities working in the program.

Throughout the project I was able to use skills that I had learnt in the previous 2 years in the program. This allowed me to gain confidence using particular parts of the program that are used very often in modelling and animation. I also have learnt many new skills in the program and new tricks that I would like to take forward with me. These include:

Path Constraints - creating a spline and attaching an object to it so that it follows this line in an animation.

Basic Maxscript - rather than messing with the UVW for the essex man that Dan created, I used the maxscript to disable the animation. This then meant that I could alter the colour of his clothes very easily. The maxscript I used was "selection.material = undefined"

Hair and Fur Modifier - I had used this modifier before but not to the extent we I did in this project. I used it to create a range of different grass materials.

Producing the animation required a lot of working with the AutoKey, Keyframes, Cameras and Lights. I had used these in the previous module last year however I felt that I gained a lot more experience with them in this module. I now feel a lot more confident using them and am looking forward to using them again in future modules.


No comments:

Post a Comment